Have students walk around the room in all directions. Every 10-15 seconds tell them to get into groups (choose a number of people per group). However, instead of saying “group” say “atoms”. Once in their “atoms” of the correct number of people, anybody that has not joined an atom can be welcomed into the centre of one to become the nucleas. Then the process is repeated and a new group number is chosen. Eventually the teacher will stop the exercise and the atoms will become assigned groups.
- Students are assigned into groups in a way that they have no control over
- This is helpfull when you have students who tend to always be grouped together
- Warm up
- A spacious room is needed
- Students learn about adoms
- The amount of people per atom is changable